Don’t get stuck watching videos or playing games on a small screen – instead, use your iPhone or iPad on larger screens with screen mirroring methods. There are a few ways to view iOS or iPadOS content on your TV, including AirPlay, Chromecast, and wired adapters.
There is a difference between mirroring an iPhone screen and sending video to a TV that allows you to use other iPhone apps while watching video on a TV. This is how everything works.
1. Transfer video or mirror your screen with AirPlay
AirPlay on Apple-owned wireless streaming technology
A Beginner’s Guide to Apple AirPlay Mirroring on Mac and iOS
. It lets you send a picture, song, or video from iPhone to an AirPlay receiver connected to your TV. The most popular AirPlay receiver is Apple TVdespite its hefty starting price of $ 149.
Apple TV connects to your TV via HDMI and acts as a set-top box with its own apps and App Store. It also has other great features like displaying the latest iPhone photos and playing Apple Music. Look at us a guide to setting up and using your Apple TV learn more about it.
If you want an AirPlay video from iPhone to your computer screen, you can do so using an app called AirServerwhich costs about $ 20. You can also purchase AirPlay-compatible audio devices for music streaming.
How to mirror your iPhone screen with your TV with AirPlay
When you use screen mirroring, an image that exactly matches the screen of your iPhone or iPad appears on the TV. It even appears in the same aspect ratio as the device (for example, 4: 3 for iPad), which often means that the picture does not fill the entire TV screen. Everything you do on your iPhone or iPad is instantly reflected on the TV screen.
Mirror your iPhone or iPad screen with an AirPlay receiver:
- Swipe from the top right corner to open the Control Center. For iPhone 8 or older, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open it instead.
- Tap Screen mirroring button and select your AirPlay receiver. A blue bubble will appear in the upper left corner to indicate that you are projecting your iPhone or iPad screen onto the TV.
- To stop mirroring the screen, return to Screen Mirroring in the Control Center and tap Stop mirroring.
How to transfer video from iPhone to TV with AirPlay
Unlike screen mirroring, sending video to a TV fills the entire screen. This is the best way to watch movies or photos, as they are not limited to the aspect ratio of the device. You can also use other iPhone apps when you send video to a TV without being displayed on the big screen.
To stream video to a TV without mirroring the screen:
- Download the content you want to send to the TV.
- Find AirPlay button in an application that may be Ice menu. If you can’t find it, open it signal box and press and hold Media Controls item in the upper right corner.
- Tap AirPlay button and select your AirPlay receiver. A blue bubble will appear in the upper left corner indicating that you are sending the video to the TV.
- To stop sending video to your TV, tap the blue AirPlay bubbles, then tap AirPlay and select to play the video on your device instead of the TV.
Because AirPlay is wireless, you may find that radio interference, slow Wi-Fi networks, and older Bluetooth devices can affect performance. You’ll also notice a slight delay between your iPhone or iPad and your TV.
Unfortunately, this means that AirPlay is not great to play. But it’s still a great choice for watching videos, listening to music, giving presentations, or sharing photos on the big screen.
2. Mirror your monitor with a wired adapter
To avoid delays between your iPhone or iPad and your TV screen, consider using a wired adapter. Wired adapters have a few drawbacks, but the latest models are better than before.
Most of the problems are due to the fact that Apple did not design the Lightning port on the iPhone and iPad to send video signals. As a result, you will need to purchase a sticky adapter to switch from your Lightning connector to an HDMI, VGA, or other display port.
The first batch of Lightning-to-HDMI adapters were coated with a resolution of 900p. And even the latest Apple Lightning-to-HDMI adapters promise 1080p, the reviews are still not awesome. Users mention frequent black screens and sudden hardware failures.
For the $ 49 + price tag, these adapters aren’t offering good value and are starting to make Apple TV’s wireless amenities $ 100 more. In addition, you can only use wired adapters to mirror the device screen.
To mirror an iPhone or iPad screen to a TV using an adapter:
- Plug the adapter into the Lightning or USB-C port on your iPhone or iPad.
- Connect the TV to the adapter with an HDMI cable.
- Switch to the correct TV input source to see the screen mirroring from your iPhone or iPad.
3. Transfer the video to your TV using Google Chromecast
You can use Google’s wireless “Casting” technology to watch content wirelessly from your iPhone or iPad, even though it works a little differently than AirPlay. Chromecast is Google’s answer to Apple TV and $ 35 (or $ 69 for 4K compatible) Chromecast Ultra), it’s a much cheaper way to send videos from your iPhone or iPad to your TV.
Each app handles Chromecast integration a little differently, so you can’t stream videos or other media from an iOS or iPadOS app. Just search cast button in the app you’re currently using, then select Chromecast from the list of options.
Chromecast is compatible with the most popular video and music apps like YouTube, Netflix and Spotify. There is even a list supported Chromecast apps on Wikipedia.
If you need more help, check out a beginner’s guide to Google Chromecast
How to use Chromecast: A guide for beginners
How to mirror your iPhone screen with Google Chromecast
Apple doesn’t make it easy to mirror your iPhone or iPad screen to a TV with Chromecast, but it’s possible. To do this, you need a computer on the same Wi-Fi network that uses Google Chrome. You also need an application that allows you to send video to your computer, such as ApowerMirror or AirServer.
APowerMirror is free, but includes a watermark. AirServer costs about $ 20.
To mirror your iPhone screen on Chromecast:
- Install and install APowerMirror or AirServer on your computer.
- Open signal box on iPhone or iPad and select Screen mirroring, then select your computer from the list of devices. This should open a window on your computer that reflects the screen of the device.
- Open on your computer Google Chrome and click three-point menu. care about cast, then select TV than your destination is yours table- source.
- Return to the APowerMirror or AirServer screen mirror window on your computer to send it to the TV.
Find the best way to mirror your iPhone screen
AirPlay is the best way to protect or play videos from your iPhone or iPad to your TV, but it’s also the most expensive. Fixed solutions are inelegant and problematic – given the design of the Lightning standard – and are still relatively expensive.
Google Chromecast offers the cheapest way to stream video to your TV, but mirroring your iPhone or iPad screen is difficult, especially if you don’t have a computer to use. Fortunately, you can use an AirPlay connection for Chromecast pricing with these AirPlay options for Apple TV
The best AirPlay receiver that is cheaper than an Apple TV