One of the biggest problems anyone faces when choosing an Android phone is the number of updates their device gets. Will they get one generation of major operating system versions? Do they get two or even three generations?
Samsung recently had its own Galaxy Unpacked event, and the company announced that many of its new devices will receive three generations of upgrades. However, it was a little confusing which devices will get three years and which won’t. Fortunately, Samsung sent its newsroom clarifies the matter.
Which phones will receive 3 generation updates?
If you buy a new Samsung phone in 2020, you should be good to go for upgrades.
Here is a complete list of devices:
- Galaxy S20 series: Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G, S20 Ultra, S20 + 5G, S20 +, S20 5G and S20
- Galaxy S10 series: Galaxy S10 5G, S10 +, S10, S10e, S10 Lite
- Upcoming S-series devices
- Current Note 20 series: Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G, Note 20 Ultra, Note 20 5G and Note 20
- Note the 10 series: Note 10+ 5G, Note10 +, Note 10 5G, Note 10 and Note 10 Lite
- Folding devices: Galaxy Z Fold 2 5G, Z Fold 2, Z Flip 5G, Z Flip, Fold 5G and Fold
- Upcoming Z-series devices
- Galaxy A series: Galaxy A71 5G, A71, A51 5G, A51 and A90 5G
- Select future A-Series devices
- tablets: Galaxy Tab S7 + 5G, Tab S7 +, Tab S7 5G, Tab S7, Tab S6 5G, Tab S6 and Tab S6 Lite
- Upcoming Tab S series devices
If you own or design one of these devices, you’re all set for three major Android updates. This applies to tablets and phones.
If you are in the market for an affordable phone, be sure to do some research before buying an A-series phone as some of them will not get three generations of upgrades.
Not a Bixby fan on your Samsung device?
Samsung’s personal assistant is pretty divisive. Some people love it, and others hate it. If you’re not a Bixby fan on your Samsung device, check it out here a handy guide that shows you how to disable Bixby
How to disable Bixby on all Samsung Galaxy phones
Disclosure of subsidiaries: By purchasing the products you recommend, you will help keep your site alive. Read more.